Sunday, August 13, 2006

Message from a Leftist Neo-Con

Today, I want to point out some of the things on which I agree with the left.

I am in favor of stem-cell research. I think it’s moronic not to investigate whatever we can by using these embryos that would have been thrown away anyway. Stem-cell research will, doctors feel, lead to breakthroughs with Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, and many other afflictions that make life miserable for our fellow human beings. I believe that God approves of this research.

I support a woman’s right to choose. I think it's inhumane to force women to bring babies into a world where they will be neglected or abused. I believe that the quality of a life is just as important as the life itself. Yes, I admit that on this issue I am even radical left. I believe in euthanasia, assisted suicide, even mercy killing. A long time ago I had an interview in a state institution for a job as a psychologist (this is one of my professions). It turned out to be a warehouse for the most miserable human beings on the planet. It was like a descent into Dante’s hell. The babies and children in this facility were all abandoned to the state. They were multiple-handicapped. They were blind, deaf, dumb, retarded, crippled, paralyzed, shitting in their pants, vomiting, some in constant pain or perpetually cramping, screaming all day, every day. There was no joy in that building. There was only crying and howling. I admire the loving people who work in these places, but I feel down deep that a great inhumanity is occurring. Why is this kind of life better than the peace of death? Please, if I get into a similar condition, pull the plug.

I am a strong environmentalist. I am not anti-business, as many nature-lovers are on the left, but I do agree that we need to work harder to eliminate all kinds of pollution to our world. I’m not sure I buy the global-warming theories, but it still makes sense to stop carbon-dioxiding our atmosphere, and mercurizing our oceans, and so on.

I do believe in big government programs to help the poor, the homeless, and the mentally challenged, as long as these programs are doing what they can to get people off of assisted living and back to self-reliance. Many of the homeless, for example, are mentally ill, let’s face it. There ought to be places where these people can go to live and be happy.

There are other issues on which I agree with the left, but I’ll just mention one more. I believe that we in America need to improve our communication skills with the rest of the world. This does not mean that we try to be nice so they will like us, as the left would want. I don’t care if Hezbollah likes me. Rather, I see this as a matter of clarity and persuasion. We need to be culturally sensitive, open about our intentions, willing to listen, and accepting of opposing opinions. With Muslims, for example, I would take every opportunity to establish a dialogue with them. I would speak at their functions, invite them to ours, and be willing to just listen.

Caution. The above does not imply we give up our right and duty to defend ourselves. For example, it does not mean that we stop the war in Iraq because we are afraid it will cause others to hate us. We need to do the right things no matter how unpopular it makes us. It also does not suggest that we be tolerant of hate-speech, the brainwashing of children, acts of violence against innocents, or desires to take over the world and establish theocracies. I merely posit that by actively engaging the Muslim world, we might reach the moderates among them, the young, and those individuals who are deciding at this very moment whether to go radical or not.

You see why I call myself a neo-conservative. I am liberal on several social and other issues. I return to a recurring theme with me. I beg you in the Democratic Party and others on the left, consider your stance on some of your new dogma. You’ve strayed from your classic roots. Go back and study what made the Democratic Party great. You can’t lead this country if you’re not strong on defense. We won't let you run this nation if you are anti-business. You will not win my heart, or that of many independents, if your hearts are full of hate. You will not earn my respect by vilifying good people, like George Bush.

(*Wikipedia is always my source unless indicated.) This Post’s Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Join me in the war on error, in the fight for truth, justice, and the American way! Wanna swap links? It’ll help us both. Truth—The No Spin Politically Incorrect Zone

One Philosophy of the Site: "It is the duty of every citizen according to his best capacities to give validity to his convictions in political affairs." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955), 'Treasury for the Free World,' 1946

Subscribe to my feed
                                          

Regular Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: