Tuesday, August 29, 2006

God Check

Tomorrow, if she is still speaking to me, I’m going to go with a post from my first guest-blogger, someone with whom I agree sometimes and disagree sometimes. I think it’s kind of cool to let other people speak from this pulpit who might see things differently than I, and add to the fabric of truth.

Today, I’m doing God Check. I keep saying that my pipeline to God is just as clear and open as any religious person’s. And it is true that I constantly try to listen to what He is telling me. Unfortunately, He doesn’t whisper in my ear, or perform miracles for my edification, or even give me obvious signs. He speaks to me, I think, like He talks to most people, through the events of my life, the challenges I face, and the people in my life space.

He communicates with me through my new job and its challenges, and through this blog, by what I am led to say, the reactions I get, the challenges it offers, the people I meet. He has chosen to immerse me, for the time being, in liberalism. Yes, I know now Lynn, you aren’t a liberal. When we disagree, however, I’m on the conservative side, and you’re the liberal. So there.

What is God telling me? I’m listening hard, listening hard, listening hard. I think He is telling me to stay humble, but stay honest.

Don’t expect to be loved for speaking the truth. After all, don’t you know that no good deed goes unpunished? You must tell the truth, Rock, because it is the right thing to do.

But, God, I want to be loved.

Rock, so did Jesus.

Yeah, but I’m not as strong as He. I’m not in His league.

You’re telling me? Ha! Forgive me for laughing.

All right, I get it. You don’t have to rub it in.

What do you think of liberals, Rock?

I think they’re idiots.

Yes, you’re right about that, but I created them.

I know, that’s what’s so confusing. How could you be so mean?

Rock, everyone has a purpose in life.

Even liberals?

Yes.

Jesus Christ, oh, I’m sorry.

No problem. He knows you didn’t mean it.

Well, this means I have to … love liberals?

I wouldn’t go that far.

Tolerate them?

Engage them.

Convince them they’re wrong?

No. Sometimes they’re right.

Not often, though.

Yes, that is accurate.

Do I have to invite them to dinner?

They make great pasta prima vera.

I’ve heard.

I think you’ve got it now.

I guess. What if they say something stupid?

You’ve got two choices.

Let me guess, I can confront them, or let it slide?

More like slap them upside the head, or hug ‘em.

Got it.

Go in peace.

Peace be unto You.

All right, who’s the next liberal in line?

3 comments:

Kiyotoe said...

The Rock strikes again!
I have to admit, as far as the pipeline to God is concerned, The Rock and The Dragon sound like they're almost on the exact same page.

Neil said...

Liberals do make great pasta prima vera...

I liked your post, though, seeing as to how I'm rather religious too... I suppose I occasionally question why the viewpoints of certain politicians exist and, of course, why liberals make great pasta prima vera, but I figure hugs are the right course in the end (I'm just not violent enough to slap anyone). I tend not to worry about it as much since I'm younger and less involved with politics. I like to worry about things like girls, grades, and pasta prima ve... er, sports, yeah.

~LAEvanesce

Rock said...

How can I disagree with you. You make better sense than a lot of us. Thanks for you comments.