Monday, July 31, 2006

The Fog of War

Israel to Halt Bombing for 48 Hours - Los Angeles Times: South Lebanon Civilians to Be Evacuated After Airstrike Kills Up to 56, By Paul Richter and Laura King, Times Staff Writers, July 31, 2006

JERUSALEM. Israel agreed to halt bombing for 48 hours and allow besieged civilians safe passage out of southern Lebanon, U.S. officials said Sunday, a concession granted under intense pressure after one of its airstrikes hit a house full of women and children, killing as many as 56 people.

What happened in Qana was as inevitable as it was tragic. These are sad days for the world.

One factor is that Hezbollah has turned out to be better prepared for war than anyone expected. This has caught the Israeli army and public off guard, and led to a split in planning counterattacks against Hezbollah. Hezbollah is claiming victory, and rightly so.

Israeli Prime Minister , it appears, is not up to the task of defending Israeli at this crucial moment in their history. He is no , the former Prime Minister, founder of their Kadima Party, who now lies in hospital in a coma.

Sharon would have done what American military commanders feel is the best Israeli option, which is to send in a massive ground force to Lebanon and wipe Hezbollah out. Since the Israeli army met stiffer resistance than expected, including huge underground complexes, sophisticated mine placement, and advanced weaponry, supplied by Iran, the Israeli soldiers and commanders were actually stunned. This led to half the planners opting for mostly an Israeli air offensive, which will not wipe out Hezbollah.

Add this fact to the Hezbollah tactic of using civilians as human shields, and you have the recipe for Qana, and disaster. The Israelis tape every mission. They have video of Hezbollah firing missiles and then retreating back to civilian populations. The dilemma for Israel is that the Hezbollah are launching thousands of rockets into Israel, but then retreating to places where families are forced to stay. Hezbollah won't allow relief supplies to arrive, nor medical help.

So, Israel is left with a . Let their own civilians be murdered, strike Hezbollah by air and leave Hezbollah intact, or force a bloody ground invasion.

Striking only by air will lead to more Qana's. Without troops on the ground to verify what is and what isn't a military target, Israel will make mistakes. Plus, Hezbollah will ensure that as many Lebonese civilians die as possible, and they'll be there with their video cameras, along with mobile phones to alert the media.

The Islamo-facists love what happened in Qana, calling it with glee the . It seems they miss the subtleties of the word “holocaust,” which implies deliberate, massive genocide. Hezbollah deliberately sends 4,000 plus missiles into Israel, aimed squarely at civilians, and the world is silent. Israel makes a tragic mistake in Qana and the world is aghast.

The only rational choice for Israel is to send in ground troops. The world will condemn them, as usual. This way, though, they can really hurt Hezbollah, deny them their victory, and prevent more Qana's. Israel understandably is afraid of this option. They know they will pay a heavy price, with the dead bodies of their young soldiers.

Israel can’t be blamed for demurring at this time, but it is a mistake.

The world continues to show its callousness for the death of innocent civilians. It keeps worshipping brutality. Israelis are scorned. The Hezbollah are pitied, or even honored.

What is likely to happen is a ceasefire sometime soon. The masses don’t like seeing pictures of dead children. Unfortunately, there will be many more pictures like this unless Hezbollah is dismantled.

(*Wikipedia is always my source unless indicated.)

This Post’s Technorati Tags: , World, , , , , , , ,

Join me in the war on error, in the fight for truth, justice, and the American way!

Truth—The No Spin Politically Incorrect Zone

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

.
rock,

do you see Israeli-Arab conflict
-- and support of Israel
---- as a matter of the biblical doctrine ?

Rock said...

You're confusing me with someone else, igr. Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East which is both humane and just. I've said in earlier posts that I am not a religious fundamentalist.

I believe God is on the side of both Israeli's and Muslims, but I don't believe He is on the side of terrorists.

I love decent, hard-working people of all nationalities--Arabs, Palestinians, Jews, Catholics, Muslims, of all races. I abhor people who kill to make political statements.

This is a matter of law, justice and humanity, not one of tribalism. My tribe is the human race.

Anonymous said...

.
pls, don't look for hidden mines in my question, there are none (this time).

it seems to me - from your posts - that you are not a nominal christian, that you take religion seriously. Am I correct in this?

many people cannot help but see their attitude towards Israel and the conflict thru the bible. Some more so, some less, but it's inevitable for anyone who takes the bible seriously. As you said you are catholic, you must have some feelings regarding this subject....

and that's what I'd like to know - how strong do you feel the connection between todays Israel and the book ?

Rock said...

I am opposed to making too many conections like this, igor. I see that several religions claim a spiritual connection with the Middle East, which is fine, but they carry this feeling so far that they are willing to kill people for it. Obviously there is a connection between the Jews and "the book," even in Catholicism, as the Old Testament was a Jewish book, and Jesus was a Jew. But I'll leave the religious commentary to smarter people than I, and who make their living on these issues.

I'm not about to say that the Jews deserve Israel because it's written in the book. I'd rather say that they have a historical connection with the land and have fought defensive wars to stay there.

I have my roots in Catholicism, yes, but I've made a lifelong study of several relgions. I believe that each has something to offer. I am critical, though, of Islam, which I believe, needs a reformation. This is no different than Catholicism at one time, which needed its reforms.

There are several issues about which I disagree with the Catholic Church. Yet, on the whole, I believe they are a force for good.

Anonymous said...

I understand you'd rather not to make a relilgious commentary, and anyway it's not what I am looking for here...

but.. do you personally feel that there is a connection between the book and today's events (ie "today's" - historically)?

you know, the prophecy - "when the jews gather in Jerusalem", and stuff...

or do you consider the book like, er, just another compilations of ancient legends - like - "when the Big Maputu flew other the Land of Elders, he bruised his foot by Black Montain and spilled the water, and since then this lake is called Maputuraya, which means Swear of Maputu, ..... etc"

?

Rock said...

do you personally feel that there is a connection between the book and today's events (ie "today's" - historically)?

No, I don't feel there is a connection.

igor, I personally feel that thousands of bright humans collectively gathered the best of their moral knowlege, trying to listen to God or the universe, and set it down in allegorical terms as the best way to teach their lessons. I do believe in God, but I think He or She, or whatever, is still talking to us. I claim no special connection or wisdom on the matter. I do think we need to tune in to what we are being told.

I believe that every person comes into our lives for a reason. I will respect another person's beliefs, as I have no authority or right to tell him he is wrong--unless his beliefs lead him to harm me.

Anonymous said...

.
thousands of bright humans collectively gathered the best of their moral knowlege, trying to listen to God or the universe, and set it down in allegorical terms as the best way to teach their lessons.

you mean that's what the bible is, as you see it, right?

I wonder, how do you read the book of revelation? there is quite a stir among many people about it these days...

Rock said...

Tell me about it, igor. I think I can learn from you on this issue.

Rock said...

I forgot to answer the first part of your question.

Again, I'm no expert on these issues. I just don't think it makes sense that God talked to the anchients and then suddenly shut up. I think He must still be talking to us. It's up to us to listen.

Anonymous said...

.
ok, thanks for trying to answer my questions.