Saturday, July 22, 2006

On Being a Conservative in Southern California

Before I started blogging, my only connection with conservatives had been vicarious. I listened avidly to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Larry Elder, Michael Savage, Dennis Prager, Bill Crystol, Fox News, and others, and cheered or argued with them in my imagination. I also jeered and argued the same way with all the network news outlets, CNN, Bill Press, Al Franken, Katie Couric, and so on. Plus, living in L.A., I got to decide whether to "come out" as a conservative in this rabidly liberal territory.

I did come out. It has been rewarding to do so, but quite a battle, let me tell you. The first time I did it, jaws actually dropped. Being in the film business, every party was a Bush-bashing affair. The first time I dared disagree with the vicious Bush-hating, it was like I farted loudly at an Enya concert.

I've learned to speak up now at every opportunity. This doesn't make me popular, but it at least lets my liberal friends know who I am and where I stand. It also forces them to use logic once in awhile, instead of relying totally on the liberal mantras they recite every day of their lives.

I do feel I've made a difference. I haven't scored any converts, but I've at least got these liberals thinking, which is something they're not used to.

I know it's my fault that I've had no connections with conservatives in La-La Land. There surely are conservative groups here that I could join. I'll do exactly that one day. One of the things that has been stopping me, I know, is that I'm not a religious right kind of guy. I'm also left wing on several issues, like the environment, science, some social issues, and maybe even health care.

Plus, I'm radically right wing on other issues, like the economy, affirmative action, immigration, and defense.

I wonder if there's a home for me? I continue to believe that I am what they call a neo-conservative. Maybe this is my political nest.

Anyway, blogging has been a blessing. Not only do I get to read the blogs of like- and unlike-minded people, I have the opportunity to tell the world what I think. And, miracle of all miracles, the world responds!

I read and listen to various news sources, liberal and conservative, and I explore blogs with many viewpoints. I get responses from those that agree and disagree, from fans and detractors. It's wonderful. It feels like I live in a democracy, and I guess I do. Nobody yet has shown up to imprison me for anything I've said so far. I continue to try to be open, honest, and respectful.

I was right to come out of the closet in L.A., and in Hollywood. I was right to begin blogging. Being a conservative in Southern California is still a lonely occupation, but not so much anymore.

This Post’s Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

paz y amor said...

Maybe you can dispel a preconceived notion that I may have had about the term "neo-con". For some reason I was under the impression that neo-cons are MORE conservative than the "traditional" conservatives. MORE anti-immigration/affirmative action/abortion/environment/gay marriage etc. than usual. On the flip side, I thought that they were MORE pro-defense/"family values"/tax cuts/corporations etc. Help me out with some info- at least from your perspective.

Rock said...

paz y amor, nice to hear from you again. I already published a reply, but it disappeared on me, so I'll write one again.

I am not an expert on "neo-con," but I've been listening whenever the name comes up, and looking it up when I can. Here is the Wikipedia reference, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-conservative.

I gather that neo-cons are more hawkish than conservatives on things like the defense and foreign policy, and more liberal on social issues and spending for government programs. Which sounds like me.

Have a good day paz.