Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Paradox

I warn you, this post will not be easy. Read it only if you like James Joyce or William Faulkner, and are interested in philosophy. I am applying in this post, in an undisciplined, stream-of-consciousness fashion, the laws of relativity and paradox to politics, and most of you could give a rat’s patootee about such things.

Ever since Albert Einstein explained to the world his theories of relativity, Western thought has never been the same. He introduced the idea, for example, that time is relative. Someone traveling in a spaceship for a long period would age less than someone remaining on earth, and so on. Recently, the big thing in science has been quantum physics. Some interesting related findings are the fact that particles at the subatomic level can be found at two different places at the same time, and even theories like parallel universes.

I believe that we humans, as a collective race or species, evolve not only physically, but also morally and philosophically. I think we are on the verge of a great leap forward in our understanding of our universe.

I realize that we gravitate towards the simple, and the easily understandable. Our brains can usually hold only one kind of thought at a time. We are a bright species, but not that bright. Which is why slogans work with us. We are brilliant in the first place for having the capacity to think and speak. We are capable of creating religions and philosophies. Yet we still prefer the simple, en masse that is.

This is why proclaiming the truth is such a difficult task. It is difficult, but not impossible.

People have to understand paradox. They have to understand relativism versus absolutism.

Let’s take a simple question. Is George Bush a good man? (You can ask similar questions like, is he intelligent, or wise, or effective, and so on).

My answer is, yes, he is a very good man. The liberals will say no, he is not a good man. Simple answers to a complex question.

The difference between liberals, and me though, is that I choose to say George Bush is a good man, knowing that the truth is more complex. Liberals operate only on one level. They don’t see the question as complex, and they don’t see the answer as complex. To them, George Bush is evil, period. Liberals cannot see paradox. They cannot see relativism.

The inner workings of my mind are this: George Bush is a good man, and George Bush is not a good man. This is the paradox—two opposites existing at the same time. For me, though, the good in George Bush far outweighs the bad. So, he is good.

Liberals literally cannot see anything good in George Bush, and they don’t want to. If liberals saw the world as it really is, as complex, then this would take the steam out of their slogans. All of the late night talk show comics are liberal. They see the world in black and white. If they appreciated the complexities of politics then they couldn’t bash Bush. They couldn’t pummel Fox News.

I choose to present my blog as a simple and unified message. As an absolute, I see America as one of the best countries in the world. I see conservatives, at this time in history, as the guardians of truth. I see liberals as demagogues and charlatans. I see political correctness as cowardice. I see the Muslim faith in need of a major reformation. I see that God is still talking to us, as opposed to fundamentalist religions that believe God spoke to us in the past but not anymore.

Isn’t the above contradicting the message of this post, that life is complex? Yes. That’s the paradox.

There are absolutes, and there are relatives.

One absolute that is true is, there are good guys and bad guys. Bush is a good guy. Osama bin Laden is a bad guy. This is an absolute.

A relative truth is conservatives, at this time in history, operate on a higher moral plane than liberals. This, of course, is definitely not an absolute. There are many liberals who are good people, and there are many conservatives who are not. And vice versa. This truly is a relative pronouncement. I believe it is true. Liberals don’t. Who is right? I am. Yet, the truth on this matter is complex.

Now that I’ve thoroughly confused you, let me explain one more thing—my feelings. Do I love George Bush? Sometimes. Do I respect George Bush? Sometimes. I love him and I hate him. I love him for his brilliance in going into the war in Iraq (I know the Igor’s of the world, and 80% of humanity, cannot understand Bush’s brilliance in this move), but I hate him for ruining our country with his immigration policies. I love/hate him.

How do I feel about liberals? I hate/pity/love/scorn them. I hate them for ruining our country with their demagoguery, lies and cowardice. I pity them because they don’t have the brains to see the truth. I love them for their great hearts, and their intention of doing good in the world. I scorn them for not being honest with themselves.

How do I feel about conservatives? I love/hate/admire/scorn them. I love them for being right about most issues, for being courageous in standing up for their mostly correct views, and for saving what is best about our world and country. I hate them for their cowardice in being politically correct, in seeking sometimes only to be re-elected, and for taking a great country and running it into the ground with their immigration policies. I admire them for seeing the truth when all the major media broadcast liberal propaganda. I scorn them for squandering the greatness that Reagan and Newt Gingrich brought to our country and the world.

The ultimate paradoxes for me are that I must accept living in an imperfect world. I can only do my best to communicate God’s message and the essence of truth. I must trust others to do their part. I accept that liberals have their own point of view, and that their expression of these views will also help make our world better, no matter how much I disagree with them. I must, in the end, after being so certain, so proud, so absolute, allow that I am only a speck in the universe, and that my views are important, but so are yours.

If you disagree with me on issues, then you are probably right. I am right too, though. That’s the paradox. There is an absolute truth on some things, and I believe that I see it clearer than you. I am a genius. Yet, don’t be upset—I am also an idiot. I realize this. To be honest, I am an idiot savant.

What you and I think, and do, and say matters. Yet, we are insignificant. It’s not about us. It’s about life, about God, about humanity, about the universe.

That’s the life God has given us. I humbly accept this reality.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yawn.... bullshit.

Do you think Hitler was bad? Noooo, according to Rock's philosophy, he was good! Paradox? Yes, and if you don't understand it - then you are a dumb liberal.

Do you think child molesters are bad people? Nooooo, according to Rock's philosophy, they are good, they love kids! Love/hate, understand? If not, then you are a dumb liberal.

and so on.

....

Rock thinks he is very clever, that he found an un-beatable way to present black as white, and white as black at his convenience. Paradox, relativity, quantum mechanics, kapish? If you don't - then you are a dumb liberal...

Rock thinks that with this "paradoxical" sleight-of-hand he is free to propagandize any monstrocity (like killing 1.3bn people if they don't do as he says) and still to think of himself as a good man...

No, Rock. This "philosophy" of yours looks un-beatable only to un-educated, un-sofisticated rednecks, product of american public schools (where multiplication table is considered a paramount of science, too difficult to be required for every student...), like yourself, the ones who call Dubya "insightful leader" due to their own lack of insight, knowledge, and education.

You fool no one, but yourself, poor old rocky...

Rock said...

igor, do you think your comments are intelligent? You might just paste and copy them over and over, because they're always the same. You consider yourself educated? Where? I'd guess you passed the third grade, but no more. Have you ever had an intelligent conversation, you know, like where you disagree and say why, without your juvenile anger?

Anonymous said...

the form and style of my comments are irrelevant, neither is my education level.

what is relevant - here:

1) you posted ridiculous pseudo-philosophycal goebbels-style excuses for your neo-nazi-con propaganda
2) I highlighted the immorality of your "philosophy"
3) and you have nothing to say other than to try (lamely) to offend me.

Rock, are you trying to prove again how immoral you are? Don't, you had already proved that beyond reasonable doubt.

Save your breath for Peter, ok?

Rock said...

Thank you igor again for your illuminating comments.

Rock